Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Year, New Blog, New Post

A Word of Warning:

Here at Obsessive Nerd you won't find be finding anything fancy. I won't be sharing gems of wisdom, or glorious insights into my perception on life. I am merely creating a space for myself where I can talk/post/write/dream about my obsessions, and all of the little things that follow.

That being said, I am probably extremely boring to listen to and/or read. I tend to rave, go on tangents, or otherwise explain, in exact detail, my current topic of interest for any length of time.(Sometimes days, usually weeks.)

If you have little to no fascination with the following subjects: history, literature, travel, cosplay, video games, or art, you should probably stop reading now. If you do like these things, and are thinking that you've found someone who understands you, bear in mind that I tend to take things that people love, and beat them into the ground. :)

That being said, let me properly introduce you into one of my many obsessions ...

While doing research on one of my favorite historical figures (Oda Nobunaga) this evening, I came across this amazing discovery: Azuchi Momoyama Theme Park, also known as Edo Wonderland.

Standing watch over the city of Ise, this replica of Azuchi Castle, Nobunaga's opulent six-tiered fortress on the shores of Lake Biwa, is the center of a sprawling castle town. The best part? It's a theme park centered around life in 16th century Japan!

Upon entering the main gate, specially trained staff walk the park in period costume to help transport you back in time. As a visitor, you can also rent a costume to enhance your enjoyment and overall experience.

The re-created town is complete with a shrine, temple, old houses, and a theatre where you can enjoy Geisha performances or see an Edo court case.

There's also a Ninja Museum, a Ninja maze, and a Ninja house of tricks where you can test your skill at throwing shuriken (ninja stars) and win prizes. From a special gate, you can ride a bus shaped like a kago, an old-style palanquin, to take you up to the Azuchi Castle replica, where inside a museum is dedicated to Oda Nobunaga. The top floor, like that of the original, is made of pure gold and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and scenic coastlines of Ise Bay.

While it's not the original castle (as the initial fortress was burnt to the ground in 1582), Azuchi Momoyama Theme Park offers a glimpse inside of what the real castle could look like, minus the splashes of red woodwork, and blue rooftop.

As a lover of Japanese history, this is practically a paradise for a nerd like me! Tea ceremonies, samurai processions, old timey souvenier shops ... I can barely contain my excitement! I definitely will be making a stop on my Japanese Castle Tour this year.



No comments: